Mom moment.

One night when we were still in the hospital, the nurse came in at 3 am and said she needed to take Zoey for a minute to get her a new dose of her antibiotic. She said Zoey would be gone for about an hour. The half-coherent me said ok, fine. I woke up an hour and 15 minutes later and she was gone. I thought what, that can't be right. She was going to be back soon. I got up, tried to wake Jon, he was in a deep sleep and didn't hear me. I knew I had to go to the nursery myself. I had just recently gotten off the magnesium drip and was still a bit dizzy and not with it, but I did an I-just-delivered-a-baby-waddle down the hall, thinking loudly "where's my baby?!?!" Of course, I'm in a completely modest hospital gown and totally falling out of it. The nurse at the main desk comes running after me (of course she's black, which makes this all better) with a gown and says 'oh honey, you're gonna need this' as she's putting the gown on my backside, attempting to help cover me. I go to the nursery and they say Zoey's not quite done with the antibiotic, I'll have to wait a minute.

I walk sadly back to my room and think whats taking so long?!?! and then they bring her back almost immediately. I think they were trying to do me a favor and keep her in the nursery for a bit to let me sleep, but little did they know they only gave me a heart attack! I can't sleep without her near, it freaks me out. 

I'm sure every mom has a moment when they realize they really are a mom. This was my first "mom" moment. I felt like my only job was to protect Zoey. 

Comments

Popular Posts