Discipleship

I finally heard Elder Holland's talk and it hit me like a ton of bricks.
Our God is not a comfortable God. He doesn't change his ideas for us. Elder Holland called it "man creating God in his image.

Edit 7/13/14

I have been thinking about this talk a lot and never got the chance to finish this blog post. I keep thinking about how we like to shape God according to our needs. If we believe things should be a certain way we like to change God accordingly. I heard a talk about the constitution today at church and I really appreciated what brother Adam Smith had to say about the matter. He said that the constitution came from many different groups of people (atheist, communist, religious, slave owners, etc.) but they all had one thing in common: They did not want the British to take over. This "cause" made them all come together to create a constitution. At the end, none of them agreed completely with the document, but they had all compromised to make it work. Some of the people who had created the document who didn't like how it turned out rallied against it! The point was though that it still wasn't a perfect document. It was a compromise.

I think that's why the church is always evolving. Right now, God knows we don't understand everything but socially, this is where the church needs to be for people to join/feel the spirit/etc. As time goes on, God will reveal new things about the church e.g. Blacks are able to receive the priesthood. I love how modern day revelation works. I love that our church is open to revelation and evolution.

I'm so glad that I can receive revelation for myself so that I can learn and grow at my own pace as well. If you haven't read Elder Hollands talk, read it. Also, Elder Oaks had some killer information about the constitution if you're ever curious what our stand on the constitution should be. 

-Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts