I found myself when I lost my faith
This post is going to need some background music. Press play and imagine me singing this song. This is a happy post even if you don't agree.
I am an exmormon-- whatever that means.
My journey started back in November 2015. The LDS church came out with a policy change that for the first time in my life had me question it's motives. This question led me down a path which exposed lies and inconsistencies within the LDS church (most of which could be found at lds.org).
At the end of the path I came to the conclusion that the LDS church was wrong.
Can you imagine being an extremely faithful person and all the sudden find your beliefs turned on you? What would you do? I tried to make it work. I tried to keep believing. One day I had enough. I told my husband I couldn't lie to myself anymore. I asked him his thoughts on all of this and we decided as a family that the religion was not for us.
Leaving my religion was a long journey. I was humbled. The best part about leaving my religion was that it brought me peace. Now I can finally say I am happy.
I've wanted to share this with you guys for some time but never knew quite how to share it. Religion can be such a huge cause for debate and I don't like to argue. A lot of time leaving a religion is associated with sad or negative feelings. I did have some of those (mostly because people didn't understand why I left and I knew I would lose friendships) but it's been a very positive experience for me to pave my own path. I hope you understand why I took my time in sharing and I hope that if you have any negative feelings about this you can keep them to yourself and know that my family is doing really well.
--Sarah
I am an exmormon-- whatever that means.
My journey started back in November 2015. The LDS church came out with a policy change that for the first time in my life had me question it's motives. This question led me down a path which exposed lies and inconsistencies within the LDS church (most of which could be found at lds.org).
At the end of the path I came to the conclusion that the LDS church was wrong.
Can you imagine being an extremely faithful person and all the sudden find your beliefs turned on you? What would you do? I tried to make it work. I tried to keep believing. One day I had enough. I told my husband I couldn't lie to myself anymore. I asked him his thoughts on all of this and we decided as a family that the religion was not for us.
Leaving my religion was a long journey. I was humbled. The best part about leaving my religion was that it brought me peace. Now I can finally say I am happy.
I've wanted to share this with you guys for some time but never knew quite how to share it. Religion can be such a huge cause for debate and I don't like to argue. A lot of time leaving a religion is associated with sad or negative feelings. I did have some of those (mostly because people didn't understand why I left and I knew I would lose friendships) but it's been a very positive experience for me to pave my own path. I hope you understand why I took my time in sharing and I hope that if you have any negative feelings about this you can keep them to yourself and know that my family is doing really well.
--Sarah


Good for you for having the courage to do this. I spent a few years really digging into the Mormon faith. In the end, and after reading scripture over and over again, I realized they are a false faith and teach false doctrine. Especially, the more I read about the history of it and how it even came to be.
ReplyDeleteRegardless of what you decide - Christianity or not, it takes courage to question. I'm glad this was a positive decision for you and your family. Many prayers to you and your family always.
Thanks Abby! It really does take courage to question. I am glad I had to take this journey even if it was rough it has helped me to be a more compassionate person. I appreciate your support!
Delete